crewed yacht charters greece

Island of Peace and Friendship

Chalki or Halki or Khalki is a small island of 2 km2 and about 300 inhabitants located approximately 7 nM west of Rhodes. It is a mountainous off-the-beaten-track island with many sandy beaches. There are many nice neoclassical pastel colored houses surrounding the harbor whose owners have mostly immigrated and live in Florida. The main street is named Tarpon Springs Boulevard. The island was named Chalki from its copper (chalkos ) mines which flourished in antiquity. Its first inhabitants were Pelasgians, Karians, Dorians, Phoenicians. From excavations on the island it appears that it was flourishing from the 10 century BC to the classical period during which it was under Athenian influence. In the middle ages the island was possessed by the Arabs, the Byzantines, the Venetians, and the Genoese. It was then part of the Ottoman Empire until it was sold to the Italians in the 19th century AD. After World War II, in 1948 Cha??߀¦lki along with the rest of the Dodecanese was united with Greece. The island had seen some prosperity in the early part of this century but when the trade of sponges, sponge diving being its chief occupation, collapsed it faced hard times and many of its inhabitants immigrated to the US. More information here: